A selection committee comprised of architects, developers, planners, state officials, and citizens meet to review nominated projects and plans, and select those that best exemplify smart growth principles. To receive award, projects and plans must meet five of the following eight smart growth criteria. The plan or project shall:
- Be located in an area appropriate for growth or revitalization, preferably within an existing settlement presently served by infrastructure;
- Support a mix of uses, and be well integrated into the existing community fabric;
- Create or enhance transportation options to enable safe and effective pedestrian, bicycle and public transportation access;
- Have sufficient density and scale to support a range of available housing options;
- Promote adaptive reuse, redevelopment or infill; and
- Protect and conserve working farms, forests or the natural environment.
For more information about developers in vermont downtown. Click here.